Friday, June 25, 2010

African Odyssey: Report 5 - The Dream Weekend


Sometimes, the planets align, the universe is calm, and the Milky Way stops rotating just long enough for everything to be just right.


In the next three days, the soccer gods have shined on me. This weekend will be my equivalent of soccer nirvana.


Step 1: Thanks to Joe "Bird" Freeman, who I had not seen since my days at Yale, I am in Durban, coastal south Africa, preparing for the Portugal vs. Brazil match this afternoon. Joe provided the ride, the hotel room, and the ticket to the game. So to Joe I say, obviously, a big "You Rule." All I had to do was help out with driving! And to Andy Slater, who cancelled on the WC 2010 trip and left Joe with an extra ticket, a big thank you, also!


Step 2: Tomorrow, at 6 am, Joe and I will wake up and drive north 8 hours, to rustenburg for the USA vs. Ghana match. For the 4 game tickets, my own purchase, I thank US Soccer.
Step 3: The cycle is complete on Sunday, when Chris Bradford and I head out to Bloemfontein, four hours from Joburg, for the England vs. Germany grudge match. Chris, I thank you for the ticket and the ride, this is going to a classic European match.


Three of the best soccer matches I'll ever see, all in three days. It's going to be exhausting, but wow, what can I say. WC 2010 is by far exceeding all expectations. At this point, I might as well stop going to soccer games because it'll all be downhill from here on out, the rest of my life.


One more time, let's hear it: Go USA!

2 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO Jealous! But I am more happy that you are having the best time of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the Ghana v US match will be exciting (anything would be more exciting than the snooze-fest that is the Portugal v Brazil match playing right now), I'm incredibly envious that you'll see England v Germany.

    As Beckenbauer said, a 'Klassiker'.

    ReplyDelete