Wednesday, August 25, 2010

African Odyssey: Report 15


After two full months away, on Monday, August 12th, I arrived back in San Antonio, Texas. Complete was a road trip covering seven African nations, over 4,000 miles of road, and 15 African Odyssey emails.

I have loved writing the updates, and I wish I could have written more. But I only included what seemed interesting and somewhat novel. Many more things happened, many more people were a part of the trip and my experiences, and many great stories were left untold.

What have i learned? Who knows. Life is, always has been, and will continue to be. Same as it ever was and will be, I imagine.

One thing I certainly do feel is a deep comfort in seeing that things in the world are not so bad. Africans, at least in these seven countries, have enough to eat, wear clothes, and survive just fine. While they don't have much stuff, that do have what they most need. That reassures me. And, they are quite happy people. Living lives not altogether different from yours and mine.

In 2001, Mexico taught me that being poor is not the same as being sad, just as being rich is not the same as being happy. Ironically, I had to relearn that lesson here in Africa nine years later.

As I often used to tell people post-Mexico: make a list of the five happiest people you know. Now make a list of the the five richest people you know. Compare the lists. Is it the same people? Probably not.

Nations are the same way. Economics have little to do with happiness - just ask the Japanese, who kill themselves more despite being an economic miracle over the past century. Malawi, the poorest country we visited, was also our favorite for its friendly people and beautiful land. Zimbabwe was a close second for those same reasons, despite being two years removed from economic collapse.

Don't be fooled, however: rich people aren't all bad, as we all know. The ampunt of U.S. aid in these places is huge, and really dwarfs the rest of the world. While the Chinese are busy buying up African companies and resources, the U.S. Is busy sending a parade of white SUVs filled with middle class aid workers, NGO organizers, and doctors. I come home more patriotic for all that we do in the world.

And now, in honor of Africa, I say my Africa-inspired multi-denominational prayer/statement, crafted in Kenya, a nation of many religions: Christians, Muslims, and taditional believers:
"Dear God, or lack of God, or unknown being who we may never know; we thank you, or lack of you, for life, food, and shelter, which you may or may not have had a part in giving or creating for us; may we enjoy all that is, was and will be or not be. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment